Posted on January 28, 2013
The ABC’s of Less
Week # 3 – Letter “C” stands for Caffeine… sorta kinda.
After the last two weeks of my series called “The ABC’s of Less”, I’m pretty sure there are only 4 people still reading my blog anymore… and after this week, I thinking that number will be even less… so if I don’t hear from you anymore, have a great 2013.
Since I was around 18 years old, I’ve been drinking 1-2 cans of either Mountain Dew or Mello Yellow almost everyday. It’s my “coffee” in the morning, and often times “pick me up” in the afternoon… but not anymore.
Since December 26, 2012 (a full 34 days) … I have not consumed any soft drink of any kind. I plan to keep it that way for 2013. Why?
1) I’m getting older. My body can’t handle all the sugar and caffeine like it used to. It handles water a lot better. I still have small headaches every now and then, but I’m hoping by sometime in April they will all be gone.
2) Example to my kids. Recently, my four kids got together and secretly planned to make breakfast in bed for my wife and I. They had two large breakfast trays. One for me, and one for my wife. My wife’s tray had a glass of orange juice, bowl of oatmeal, fresh strawberries, and some toast. My tray had one can of Mountain Dew on it. True story. Bad example. (side note – your kids watch everything you do.)
3) Self-control. I want to make sure that there isn’t anything on planet earth I can’t live without. I want to be in control of my mind and body, not a slave to something… not alcohol… not coffee… not caffeine… not anything.
I’m not eliminating caffeine all together… just soda. I’ll still have some ice tea this summer, and probably a chocolate candy bar around Halloween… but no more Mountain Dew.
The more important question is…What do I do for breakfast now?
Answer…. I call it the “old man breakfast.”
* 4 ounces of Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothie – Strawberry. It’s got some probiotic something or other in it… It doesn’t taste too good, so it must be good for you.
* 4 ounces of 100% Pomegranate Juice. It’s best if you just “chug” it. Bitter.
* 8 ounces of Cranberry Juice. I figured I abused my kidneys for the past 25 years, I can give them a little love with some Cranberry Juice.
* 1 Banana. I actually like banana’s.
Honestly, I don’t feel any different or better… but I’m hoping less Mountain Dew will help my health somehow.